A marriage license must be obtained before a marriage ceremony is performed. NCGS 51-6
Online Marriage Application
- Please complete the Online Marriage Application prior to your visit.
- Fee for Marriage License is $60 (NO PERSONAL CHECKS). A marriage license purchased in the Register of Deeds office of any county in NC is valid statewide. Applicants may be married anywhere in NC but the license must be returned to the county of issuance. License is valid for 60 days from date of issuance.
- Both applicants must provide identification and Social Security Card (proof of full number) or a notarized affidavit that states "I have not been issued a social security number by the US government and I am not eligible to obtain one."
- Identification requirements:
- Over 21: All applicants must present a valid Driver's License or photo identification issued by a US Government Agency.
- Under 21: All applicants must present a valid Driver's License or photo
identification issued by a US Government Agency plus certified copy of their birth certificate OR alien registration issued by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service. Foreign certificates must be accompanied by a notarized translation of the certificate. Foreign passports will be accepted if in English language.
**A matricular consular or other similar document, other than a valid
passport issued by a consulate or embassy of another country, is not acceptable for use in determining a person's
actual identity or residency. N.C. Session Law 2015-294
- Marriage license will be issued in the name as it appears on identification.
- Applicants who are 16-17 years old must have consent from a parent with full custody or both parents with joint custody or a person, agency or institution having legal custody or serving as legal guardian of the applicant. Documentation of custody, if applicable, must be presented at the time of application.
- Persons over 16 years of age and under 18 years of age may marry a person no more than four years older.
- Date of divorce or date of death of previous spouse is required when applicable. If the death occurred or divorce became final within the past year, written proof is required.